Pre-Ramble: The Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 Olympic Games in London were spectacular! Simultaneously classic and cheeky, the British successfully managed a mash-up all of the best bits of their iconic culture and delivered them in a simple and meaningful way …
- Loved the giant Olympic rings dangling from the London Bridge
- Loved the flaming Olympic rings floating above the crowds in the Olympic Stadium
- Loved the Queen’s film debut
- Loved the Queen’s Corgis’ film debut
- Loved the American athletes’ uniforms (designed by Ralph Lauren … and made in China … Hey — it’s a global event; it’s a global economy)
- Loved the giant sing-along led by a visibly moved Paul McCartney
- Loved the fireworks and flashbulbs lighting up the darkened venue
The Take-Away: Most of all, loved the sparkle of hope and awe that shined in the eyes of the beautiful athletes as they made their way around the Olympic Stadium
Post-Note: Looking forward to the Olympic-themed logotypes on the Google homepage … today it depicts the Google logo painted on the bottom of an Olympic swimming pool.
Also looking forward to the shameless Olympic-themed headline puns in the Wall Street Journal … my fav so far is from yesterday’s primer on Olympic cycling titled “Pedal to the Medal” – Brilliant!